Like Sencha grade teas, Kukicha is made with the leafless stalks, stems and twigs left behind after Sencha production. This unusually shaped tea is traditionally harvested and processed in the fall, before the tea bushes are pruned to prepare for the winter dormancy. Kukicha is made by stating the stalks before processing in order to halt fermentation. The cup produced is exceptionally clean, with a mild nutty flavor, malty highlights and cream on the finish.
- Tea Origin: Kagoshima Prefecture, Japan
- Grade: Kukicha
- Growing Altitudes: 200-1000 feet above sea level
- Manufacture Type(s): Non fermented, Traditional process, Small batch crafted, Steamed
- Infusion: Tending yellow green, somewhat pale
- Caffeine: Low
- Steeping Instructions: 1 tsp of tea for 8oz water. Steep at 175⁰ for 3-5 minutes.
- Do not add milk, sugar, lemon, or mint
Luxury ingredients: Green Tea